The Curb – Holiday Decorating Tips
One of our favorite parts of the holiday season is decorating our space in a way that brings the holiday spirit just by walking into the room. At The Curb, we always want you to feel at home and have your space be exactly what you need. We’ve rounded up some of our favorite holiday decorating tips to let you feel as festive as possible, without stress or breaking the bank.
Enhance what you already have
There’s no need to go out and buy all new home decor just for the holidays, when you can easily put a festive spin on the things you already have at home.
- Wrap your vases with some holiday ribbon
- Add Christmas lights or garland to plant or shelf displays
- Change out your normal flower arrangement for a winter flower, such as a poinsettia
- Replace your candles with “holiday” scents such as pine or cinnamon
These seemingly small changes will instantly give your home a fresh holiday look, without having changed it up completely.
During the holiday season especially, Pinterest is your best friend. Instead of purchasing your decorations from pricier home decor stores, look up ways to recreate decorations you love with less expensive materials. Turn decorating into a fun activity with your family and/or friends – pour a glass of wine or some hot chocolate and create beautiful decorations that will be even more special with their homemade touch.
- Make some DIY ornaments – there are many tutorials that will work no matter your skill level or your taste – from fun twists on the classic round style, to ornaments made out of your own personal photos.
- Inspire holiday spirit to passersby by decorating your balcony! Lights, wreaths, garland – there’s plenty of opportunity to be creative.
- If you’re good on a sewing machine, pick up an inexpensive fleece blanket or fabric to create some festive pillow covers for your couch or bed.
- Some more abstract decorations to give your space a unique look, like these wooden Christmas trees
- Make the table the star of the show with a DIY centerpiece.
Create a fun party space
If you’re hosting a holiday party, you’re likely already spending plenty between food, drinks and gifts. You can still have a gorgeously decorated party space without breaking the bank.
Try to keep to a cohesive theme. It helps to keep a consistent theme to not only tie it all together throughout the different rooms, it can help you save money and time by having less of a variety to purchase. To keep it from being too matchy, you can stick with a consistent color throughout different rooms.
Focus on the main areas that yourself and guests will see when they walk into your home – the front door, the couch, tabletop surfaces, windows – and decorate those areas first before spending time and money on smaller details.
Make your dining area feel festive with creative table displays, personalized place settings, and embellishing drinkware with ribbons or glitter decals, and you can pick up the materials at a dollar or craft store. If you want to go a little more extravagant, something like a candy table can be created with inexpensive vases and holiday-colored candies purchased at a discount store.
You can also wrap your gifts early and place them under the tree, and have your family’s presents multi-task as decor for a bit.
There are many opportunities to be creative and have fun with your holiday decorating, and to make this holiday season living at The Curb the most festive one yet. We can’t wait to see what our residents come up with, so be sure to tag @thecurbapts in your photos! Happy decorating!